Subject: Re: [Leica] Use 135mm Anymore?
From: drbledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:24:46 -0800 (PST)

Cing Dao Kan,

I use a pair of 135mm Leica lenses extensively.  One a 135/2.8
Elmarit-R and the other a 135/4.5 Hektor.  Which one I use depends on
what camera system I have with me.

I participate in rifle shooting competition and attend many matches
around the western US.  I like to photograph other shooters in
position but do not want to intrude on their concentration by getting
to close.  The 135mm lens is about perfect for this.  I get frame
filling head & shoulders shots or full body shots without ever
bothering the shooter, his/her scorer, or team coach.  And it is easy
to isolate the shooter I am interested in from the many others
shooting beside him/her, not to mention all the attendant
paraphernalia shooters bring to the line with them.

The 135/2.8 Elmarit R is a fabulous lens and very much under-valued by
many.  And while the 135/4 Tele-Elmar M is an excellent lens, I cannot
see spending the money for one over a good clean 135 Hektor (unless
shooting constantly at f/4 is important for some reason).  The late
model 135/4.5 Hektor (from about 1946 and up) is under appreciated and
certainly  under valued.  In my experience it is an excellent
performing lens.  The Hektor I use is an older pre WWII model that was
subsequently coated by the factory.  Its performance must be
experienced to be believed (especially considering how little I paid
for it).

Maybe the 135mm lens is considered something like an
workhorse few mention or take the time to praise.  Never-the-less it
is a very useful focal length and the choices in Leica 135 lenses are
many.  I consider any of them to be an excellent choice.

I also use an old pre 1932 vintage 135/4.5 Elmar that produces
beautiful results (a bit soft wide open though).

Best, Don