Subject: Re: [Leica] Nifty Little Flash (Leica SF20)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:18:15 -0800

Pascal:
The thing to do with the SF20 is get the off-camera cord (I assume the
standard Metz one will work) and get the thing off the camera.  Bounce
it off the ceiling. hold it over your head or bounce it off the wall for
some directional character, etc.  I love the -3 stops compensation.  Now
you have a flash you can use with a Noctilux at F/1 and dial down the
compensation to -1.3 and deal with really contrasty light or just add
enough pin point specular light to punch up a scene.

I must say I'm warming to an M6TTL, despite the sync speed.  Consider
that you can also use the SF20 to trigger cordless multiple strobes with
the Ikelite LiteLink and N... and C.... strobes.  Yes, yes, I understand
this is not "purist" and I risk a tsk,tsk from Ted, but I would love to
have such capability without HAVING to carry the SLR just for those
quite frequent needs, especially when I fail the "real man" test and
have to shoot color (or face an irrate client).

I was speaking last week with Mark Comon of Paul's Camera who said it
appears the ttl flash meter and the continuous light meter are separate
and that the flash meter is full field, so off center subject should get
proper exposure.

donal

Pascal wrote:

> Very neat flash. Three remarks:
> - it's a very compact and light one made by Metz, so it supplements well
> the heavy and powerful flashes from Metz. However, as you cannot bounce
> the SF20's head, indirect flashing is impossible. This limits the flash
> to outdoor fill-in use, which is basically the idea of it as confirmed by
> Leica people at that time. If you want the heavy ones with bouncing head,
> go for the more powerful Metz flashes.
> - a pity the whole flash is not in black finish (there is some white
> lining around the head which I personally do not like that much,
> especially if you are using a black R8 or M6).
> - its price is very steep (around 400 DEM, check out
> http://www.foto-hobby.de) for what it really is capable of. For a little
> more you have the Metz 32 MZ-3 with SCA 3501 module. But it is a very
> convenient little flash that goes well with the rest of your equipment in
> a vest pocket. It is simply unbeatable for the use it is intended for. It
> won't replace a "serious" flash however.

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com