Subject: [Leica] Summary of Leica prices 1982-present
From: Andrew Morang <morang@magnolia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 08:53:06 -0600

Dear LUG readers,

I recently cleaned out closets, which is a traumatic experience in this
household, and discarded a stack of old Popular Photography magazines.  I
thought it might be  interesting to list some Leica prices over time and
see what changes have occurred.  Unfortunately, I did not have any
advertisements from the 1970's - these would be most interesting today.

LEICA PRICES
From "Popular Photography" advertisements
Source:
	Olden Camera (1982)
	B&H Photo (1990 to present)

Item		Nov82	Feb90	Jun93	Sep97	Aug98
====		=====	=====	=====	=====	=====

M4-black	 700
M6 black	 ---	1735	2195	1995	1995
21 f/2.8	 ---	1242	1995	2195	1495
28 f/2.8III	 535	 997	1595	----	----
28 f/2.8 IV	 ---	----	----	1795	1895
35 f/1.4	 540	1119	1795	1899	1299
35 f/2.0	 470	 796	1295	----	----
50 f/1.0	 890	2095	2695	2795	2895
50 f/2.0	 ???	537	 795	 845	 945
75 f/1.4	????	1669	2495	2795	2495
90 f/2.0	????	 995	1495	1595	1695
90 f/2.8 TE	 345	 703	1195	----	----
90 f/2.8 Elmarit	----	----	1145	1345
135 f/4.0	????	1349	1595	1695	1695

15 f/3.5 R		4275	5595	????	????
80 f/1.4 R		2075	2495	2895	2795
100 f/2.8 R APO	2195	2495	2795	2695

Notes:

1.  The 1982 and 1990 prices are "gray market," meaning imported
independently, not through Leica USA.  These prices were lower than the
official imports.  June 1993 and later are officially imported with the USA
Passport Protection Plan.

2.  According to the B&H advertisements, "All items complete with all
accessories as supplied by manufacturer."  A translation for non-USA LUG
readers:  some of the New York discount houses used to strip packages of
accessories like lens caps or straps and then try to sell them to the
unwary consumer for extra money.  Reputable dealers do not participate in
this slimy practice.

3.  21 mm f/2.8 price is for the lens only - the finder is about $300
extra.  Exception:  the 1998 price is a close-out including the finder,
making this a bargain price for a fine lens.

4.  ---- means the item was not available.  ???? means the price was not
listed.

Comments:

On today's standards, the 1982 prices seem so low!  Old (oops, I mean
"mature") photographers will remember that in the the early 1980's,
inflation was endemic in the industrial countries, and prices for
everything were rising constantly.  So, at the time, these Leica prices
seemed quite high.

The 50 mm f/1 and 75 mm f/1.4 lenses have always been expensive, and so
have the R lenses listed above.

Recently, some Leica prices have even dropped in price!  I wonder if this
is a harbinger of forthcoming worldwide deflation, something we have not
seen in the U.S. since the 1930's.  Maybe we could use Leica prices as an
economic indicator?

Andrew Morang
Vicksburg, Mississippi, USA