Subject: [Leica] Travel to Europe: questions
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 02:38:36 +0100

We're leaving on 31 October for 3 weeks in France and England. We'll
visit: Nice-Lyon-Normandy-Liverpool-London-Paris. It's my first trip
across the pond, and I've decided to bring only an M, 35, 50,
tripod, cable release, meter, medium yellow filter, batteries, and
film.

I've decided to alternate between color and B&W on a daily basis.
This rule will be broken if I find compelling reasons (e.g., stained
glass) to do so.

I'm bringing 20 rolls of Kodachrome 64 and 5 rolls of 200. In deference
to both Ted and the awesome 35 Summilux Aspheric, strobes will be left
at home (except on my sweetie's T5, which will carry Superia 400).

I like TMAX 400, and can get adequate results from it using TMAX
developer. Plus, it's $25 per 100' @ B&H. But I'd like to switch to
XTOL, and I have not had time to "learn" that developer. I guess I can
run control negs when I get back but before processing the rest of the
vacation film.

**Is TMAX/XTOL too "tweaky" to expect good results if I do this?**

Also:

**Has anyone tried to get bulk-loaded film through security/customs?**

Will this cause any problems? I plan to put the cannisters in clear Fuji
bottles in Ziplock bags and to carry these on.

$25/~20 rolls for TMY is a pretty compelling reason to bulk-load,
especially as I can do my loading in a HEPA-filtered laminar flow
cabinet. This really cuts down on dust problems.

On the other hand: if they confiscate my film, bulk loading will do no
good at all!

Regards,

Alexey
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com