Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel to Europe: questions
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:05:56 +0100

Alexey,
Thanks for your equipment report!
I was in Paris in mid-November last year. Light level most of the day was
1/250 - F/4 for 400 ASA, and less after 4 PM. I was using ASA100 for slides,
and I almost always ended up shooting my slides wide open, with narrow DOF.
Good for 50 mm and up, but less good for wide angle images containing
several objects. So, I was most pleased with the B/W Tri-X 400ASA street
images. This depends on what you plan to photograph, of course, but ASA64 is
rather slow in my taste. Your tripod will come in handy, of course, but I
doubt if you will carry it when walking around in Paris/London. Maybe a good
advice is to bring some more rolls of ASA200 slide film.

On bulk loading: I never bulk load film these days. When buying 10 or more
rolls of the same film, the difference in price is small, compared to what
we have paid for out Leica equipment. I will pay this higher film price for
100% picture results (no film scratches) and less trouble at the customs. I
see it as an insurance.
The Leica cassettes are the best for bulk loading, but they will not work on
newer M6 bodies. I have 15 of them, but I never use them nowadays.

I cannot help you with the TMAX-question, as I am a Tri-X user (D76 1+1).

Have a nice trip!
Hans Pahlen