Subject: [Leica] Sharpo
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:46:08 +0000

Gary wrote:
>Alex wrote:
>>(BTW, If you drop film and distort the latent image, just presoak in a 1:1
>>solution of Sharpo Focussing Powder)

>Having been born extremely recently, I too would like to endorse 'Sharpo'.
>I think it has had some quality issues recently, which, suffice to say, has
>led me to experiment with this type of pictorial latency. I find it is now
>far easier to merely approximate how far the canister fell, and then drop
>the canister on its other end, thereby approximately rectifying the image.
>I can then dilute the 'Sharpo' at a 1:25 solution, which is also better for
>the environment.

This is an unbelievable product. I put the M6 on a tripod WITHOUT a
lens mounted, and took a roll of exposures on TMY. I then cut the
exposed film into strips and tray-processed the strips in different
mixtures of XTOL/Sharpo. Ratios ranged from 1:10 to 10:1 XTOL:Sharpo.

The resulting negatives revealed that the scene had been rendered as
if with different focal lengths! Despite the absence of a lens, detail
was comparable to that obtained with a Kodak Disc Camera fitted with
two or three Zeiss Softars and a layer of wax paper. Contrast was low -
perhaps next time I'll try shorter exposure and longer development.
I'll post results as they are obtained.

- -Alexey