Subject: Re: [Leica] Effluent disposal and septic systems
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:44:24 -0700

Prior to Ted's posting, I did not realize that I was a
mental midget for most of my professional life.  (I thought
it was part of my aging process).   Alas.  But I still, I
think, that a couple of points are in order:

1.  As a rule of thumb if you are buying packaged chemicals
and follow the caveats and directions from the manufacturer,
you are probably pretty safe.  In my area, you have to have
training and a permit to use pesticides but not photo
chemicals.

2.  As other people have pointed out, dilution is the
secret.  Unlike a municipal sewage factory, you won't have
the facilities to monitor your waste stream.  I routinely
add bacteria to the septic system.  The same bacteria also
works on the household drains.  We have never used "draino"
nor acid to shock the system.  I don't think you should have
any problem.  One thing you might find out is the separation
between your septic system and the groundwater.  In the area
that I live, the minimum separation is normally five (5)
feet.

3.  Finally, never ask a bureaucrat a question for which you
do not already have the answer.

Regards, Bill Larsen, Member, American Institute of
Certified Planners (and Leica photographer)
ohlen@lightspeed.net