Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Purchase
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:14:43 EDT

These are just *opinions*, as are everyone else's.  Your own style of
photography is the best determinant of which lenses to choose.  But, do
not anguish much over your initial purchase.  Eventually you will end up
with almost all the lenses...plus a few more bodies, et cetera ; )

1) You don't *need* the 0.85 magnification model.  If you ever
contemplate using a 28mm lens to any degree you will need an auxiliary
viewfinder for it, which in and of itself is a pain.  Use a 21 and/or 24
which also require viewfinders and the confusion is horrific.   In fact
if you wear glasses all the time especially for distance
(shortsightedness)  and don't relish taking them on and off for each shot
whilst employing a diopter correction eyepiece, the  0.85 will also force
you to grind your face into the camera and twist all about just to see
the 35 frameline.  Most of us have shot with .72 M's (many different
models) quite handily for as much as 40 years.  Try the two types, and
decide for yourself.  It is obvious what my choice is.

2) Unless shooting in near total darkness is your main thrust, I would
not start off with the Noctilux.  Its performance at smaller apertures is
not up to the Summicron (f2) or Summliux (f1.4) and it is much larger,
heavier and more costly.  IMHO the Summicron is the best general-purpose
compromise amongst the 50's.

3)The same I will say for the 35mm.  The Summicron-ASPH is much less
costly than the Summilux ASPH, and smaller.  Unless you are intending to
do bags of low-light shooting, the f2 will satisfy you grandly.

4)In the 90mm, again, the f2.8 Elmarit is a magnificent performer and
much less costly and bulky than the Summicron f2.  At this focal lenth,
however, the extra stop is occasionally useful in order to use a faster
shutter speed hand-holding in even not-so-low-light.  If you are bent on
the Summicron, though, I would definitely wait for the
soon-to-be-available APO-ASPH version.  The current version is a
wonderful lens, to be sure, with the understanding that it is an 18
year-old design that has just been discontinued.  The new one promises to
be sharper and more contrasty at the widest apertures as well as sharper
in the near-distance focussing range; two areas where the current
Summicron could use some improvement.

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:42:37 +0200 Tarik Mackmood
<Tarik.Mackmood@uab.ericsson.se> writes:
>Hi everyone, I'm very new to Leica and would love any assistance i can
>get.
>
>I've just joined the list and want to ask the simplest of questions.
>This is related to my newly refinding my love for photography
>develpoed
>by borrowing an M6.
>
>This has led me to sell my Canon EOS fully auto camera and concentrate
>on buying a new M6 with the possibility of 4 lenses with it.
>
>Can someone explain why one would need the new x0.85 magnification
>factor, are there any benefits, and will i get no framing lines for a
>35mm lens or smaller?
>
>Secondly, which lenses should I go for? I can currently afford to go
>for
>3 lenses + body and this will expand over time. The Choice it to go
>for
>35mm f1.4 summilux, 50mm f1.4 summilux and f2 90mm summicron.
>
>Whats the differences between Summilux, summicron, and noctilux.
>If i budgeted to by the f1 octilux  50mm as my prime, would it work
>happily in its position as the prime lens?
>
>Thanks all in advance
>
>Tarik

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]