Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing birds
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:40:56 EDT

I have been doing this type of photography extensively for many years.  I
resisted AF for a long time as well.  Finally I succumbed and I don't
regret having waited, now that AF systems are getting to the point where
they actually perform in the field.  My suggestion is to keep your
current Leica equipment for general photography, as it is a superlative
marque to be sure...as many loyal devotees have pointed out.  Before
purchasing the Leica 1.4 and 2x APO converters, I suggest trying out an
EOS 1n or EOS 5 (A2 in the US) and 300 f2.8L USM lens plus the 1.4x and
2x EF teleconverters and the 12mm EF extension tube (I say this as a
Nikon user myself--only because the equivalent equipment in Nikon is the
F5 and 300 2.8 AF-S and they are more expensive, especially second hand
if you can even find them).  With this setup you have hand-holdable 300
f2.8 and 420 f4 which are great for flying birds; plus a 600 f5.6 with
full autofocus...AND an 840 f8 with the two converters stacked (you need
the 12mm tube to do this with Canon and the Nikons need a modification to
the lensmount--I had this done and it works superbly).  Before I get
*flamed* for this last suggestion, let me point out that two of America's
most celebrated bird photographers, George Lepp and Arthur Morris, both
shoot extensively with these teleconverters stacked together and have
many, many published images to their credit from this technique.

Again, I am not suggesting you abandon the Leica,  just to try this
combination out before you make a final decision.

Regards,
Nigel
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 02:13:31 -0400 Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
writes:
>>I would like to ask advice of R users who have experience with the
>Leica
>>APO-extenders.  I have used tele-extenders before with other brands
>of
>>cameras, with unsatisfactory results; degraded sharpness, very soft
>edges,
>>general haze.
>>
>>Primary use would be in photographing shore birds and waterfowl, and
>the
>>primary lens "extended" would be the APO Telyt-R f4 280mm.  A
>wonderful
>>lens, but often not enough for skittish wild birds.  However, the 280
>is a
>>wonderful lens, and I would rather wrestle around and find the lira
>for
>>something longer if the extenders are not going to deliver the
>quality I
>>have come to expect of this lens.
>>
>>So quality is first; I would buy the APO version of the extender.
>>
>>If the quality is there, the next issue is which one to buy, the 1.4X
>or
>the
>>2X?  Is there a difference in image quality between the APO versions
>of
>>these two?  Perhaps some of the LUGgers who have used both can help
>me
>with
>>the telephoto length increase versus loss of speed issue.  With this
>>particular lens, the 1.4X would take me to an f5.6 400mm and the 2X
>an f8
>>560mm...obviously, greater "pull" is appealing, but with f8 as the
>fastest
>>selection, I would be at the edge of difficult shutter speeds for
>such
>great
>>length, even with a sturdy tripod and MLU.  This would be mounted on
>an
>R8,
>>so I've got the brightest SLR viewfinder going.
>>
>>There are old Telyt R's in very good condition around for about the
>price
>of
>>a new APO extender.  Both the 400 and 560 are f6.3.  This poses a
>quality
>>question--which version, extended or prime, will render the best
>image on
>>film?
>

>and Robert responded:
>
>>The APO Telyt-R f4 280mm is considered by Leica to be its finest R
>lens
>>period.  Use of either extender would not degrade it enough for you
>>notice.  One word of advice though, I have been trying to do shore
>birds
>>myself, and even with a 2X on my 400, it is not close enough.  You
>may
>wish
>>to save your money and spend it on a portable blind so that you can
>get
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]