Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting football with R7 and exposure problems
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:44:28 EDT

If you spotmeter the darkest shirts and the lightest and they are within
5 stops of one another, you should be fine taking the average (or
metering a mid-tone such as the green turf).  If there is more than a 5
stop differential, you will need to choose whichever is more important
and skew the exposure to favour it.  With slide film, that will most
likely be the light shirts, to avoid burnt-out detail, and the darkest
shirts will be too dark.  If you intend printing your slides, the
contrast will increase and you will have less than 5 stops range.  The
other, and perhaps better alternative might be negative film which has
broader contrast range (about 7 stops, printed) and since you are
shooting 400 speed film, will also compare favourably to chrome films in
sharpness and grain.  The 800-speed negative films best the 400 speed
chromes in my findings, and I have shot Fuji 800 @ E.I. 1200 with no
special processing and found the negs to be quite printable.

Regards,
Nigel

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:11:37 -0300 "Robert G. Stevens"
<robsteve@istar.ca> writes:
>Ted:
>
>I thought I would bring some leica use content to the list.  The past
>two
>Saturdays, I have taken pictures at the University football games,
>with
>poor results on exposure.  I was shooting slide film and found it was
>under
>exposed.
>
>Now to how I shot it Saturday.  I used the spot metering to measure
>off the
>visiting teams uniforms and the field.  I then put it on auto full
>field
>and compared the reading, they were the same.  The sky was cloudy and
>the
>sun was  poking out every now and then.  This is why I shot on auto
>rather
>than manual.  When I developed the slides, I noticed that any picture
>with
>white jerseys in it was underexposed.  I had this same problem the
>previous
>week but though it was because I was using spot auto.
>
>I guess my question is, should I shoot on manual, what should I meter
>off?
>What did you do when you had the R7.  The press guys at the games use
>colour print film around 800 asa and I assume its whide lattitude make
>up
>for small metering errors.  The slide film is just not forgiving.  I
>am
>going to try it with +1/2 compensation the next time and see if I get
>better detail.
>
>I post two pictures from yesterdays game illustrating this problem.
>The
>first or left picture has all blue jerseys in it and is properly
>exposed,
>while the right picture has white jerseys in it and is under exposed.
>They
>are full frame images, so they show everything the meter sees.
>
>http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/football.htm
>
>For those who care about the technical aspects, it was shot on  Kodak
>Elite
>II 400.    The camera was an R7 with motor and an Apo-telyt 400 on a
>manfrotto monopod.
>

>Regards,
>
>Robert Stevens

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]