Subject: Re: [Leica] Color v Black and White
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:06:45 +0200

Ted Grant wrote:

> I've always felt Colour is Sensual. Where B&W is Intellectual.
> It shows much more of the innerself of the subject than colour.
> If we consider that when we photograph people in colour, we photograph
> their clothes. But when we photograph people in B&W, we photograph
> their souls! It might give greater meaning to the emotional aspect of
> B&W over colour.

Ted, interesting that you should phrase it like that: I've always
considered B&W to be much more sensual, because of the very arguments
that you present above!  OTOH, colour, to me, is more cerebral, because
it activates the mind to recognize people, places, things, whatnot.  It
pictures something.  B&W conveys emotion, reaching beyond the pictorial.

I think we get similar experiences from B&W and colour, but it's also
interesting that we use opposite "labels" for those experiences.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho