Subject: [Leica] The LUG
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 12:19:26 +0200

From time to time, there are calls in this group that we should stop
discussing equipment, pricing and relative virtues of zinc or brass,
and instead talk about making pictures.  How much more inspiring is it
not to refrain from the equipment talk and discuss photographs instead?

Well, I don' think it's a case of either or.  I get a tremendous amount
of inspiration from almost *all* the discussions in this forum.  I love
and cherish all the various views, comments, humour and ideas expressed
on the LUG.  Regardsless of what they are about, they get me out on the
weekend, taking pictures: Sometimes I've read about a new way of handing
the camera and try that out; other times, maybe I'm trying to look at
the world and see it in a new way.

When LUG members post URLs to their sites, I visit them and often find
a great deal of inspiration there.  On a number of occasions, this had
lead to interesting correspondance with the photographer in question.
Just as their pictures are a great inspiration, so is the equipment
"chatter": I wouldn't want to see either go.

I think that the discussion themes come and go. Sometimes we are into
particular photographers; sometimes into equipment; sometimes into
issues of production, manufacturing, quality and economy; sometimes into
dreams of the future.

Rather than complaining about a current thread, start another. The LUG
consists of our contributions. If you're bored with ramblings about
minutiae of equipment, recommend a book on your favorite photographer,
or experiences of your last "photographic expedition".  Remember, there
are lots of newbies, like myself, on this list and we soak up all
info provided ;-)

There are so many great people, in so many countries, I've come to know
through the LUG in only the past six or seven months.  I hope someday
to be able to meet with you and shake your hands in thanks, but until
then, rest assured that at least one person reads every word posted on
the LUG.

And takes delight each and every one of them ;)

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho