Subject: Re: [Leica] European taxes
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:02:00 +0200

Doug Richardson wrote:

> Here it the UK there would be a third "tax" - a charge levied by the
> customs to recompense them for the time it took to inspect the item
> and calculate the other two taxes!

The same thing applies in Sweden.  I've had them put a SEK 50 handling
charge on something that had SEK 150 in customs and taxes due.  In
addition, not only is the value of the *item* used to calculate the
customs charge and taxes, but the value of the *item plus shipping* is
used.  So, if I ship things using UPS or FedEx, I have to pay more
Swedish tax than if I shipped it ground-mail.

I thought it was a sick joke, until I spoke to the "kind, gentle,
caring, helpful and courteous" people at the Swedish customs office.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho