Subject: [Leica] Electronic Flash maintenance question
From: "Greg Bicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:27:59 -0600

Hey LUG,

I use the the Metz 40 MZ-3 electronic flash on my R8 [to keep things on
topic], but not very often.  In the cobwebby corners of my memory, I seem to
recall the admonition of a strobe manufacturer about keeping electronic
flashes healthy.  Was it with Vivitar's 283?  Anyway, there was a
recommendation to occasionally fire the strobe at a white piece of paper at
close range four or five times in quick succession in order to exercise the
thyristor, if memory serves.

Has flash technology marched on, or are there things one should do to
maintain modern electronic flash units in good condition?

Thanks, and enjoy the light [ambient or filled-in]!

Greg Bicket