Subject: [Leica] R8 Loaner promotion
From: "Greg Bicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:37:35 -0600

Hi LUG,

Following some of the thoughts regarding the R8 loaner promotion, it occurs
to me that there have earlier been lots of comments that mirror my
experience with this body.  The R8 is a big camera, and it seems a little
intimidating in its bulk sitting on the shelf in the camera store.  Add a
winder, and this aspect is even more apparent.

The great experience I am having with my R8 is due in no small part to the
camera's ergonomics once in hand.  It almost feels like the shape of the
body is gripping back.  Its weight goes from initially surprising to "Wow,
well balanced," once a lens is mounted.  But these are impressions that only
take place after a few minutes of holding the camera.  Satisfaction with the
camera's joint meter/shutter function, and impressions of the glass can only
come to those who USE this camera.  And its appearance in initial
impressions is off putting to some.

I think the R8 loaner program, with its incentive to use it, burn film with
it, and scrutinize those results is one of the most on-target, clever,
sell-camera promotions I've seen.  Couldn't be better tailored to fit the R8
reality.  It suggests that Leica is really in tune with its products,
understands its marketplace, and is confident about what will happen when
the R8 gets into peoples' hands.  The numbers will reveal whether it moves
R8 bodies in volume, but I think the promotion signals a much more market
focused marketing effort by Leica, and in my opinion, that is very good
news.

If you haven't, go try an R8!  There will never be a better time to get to
know the camera, no strings attached, and if you like it, they've coupled
all this with a U$400 rebate.  But be advised; while close familiarity with
the R8 is not hazardous to your health, it may in many situations become
habit forming!

Enjoy the light.

Greg Bicket