Subject: Re: [Leica] Testing lenses
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 12:04:33 EDT

Yes I use PKR or RVP.  The comparison I made was with respect to
sharpness and contrast, not colour rendering.  In that regard, I would
not doubt that your RF-Summicron (approximate in age to my 2.8 Summaron)
would have a discernably different colour rendering than a 4th generation
lens.  My earliest Summicron is a 3rd generation 6-element (1974) and if
there is any difference in its colour rendering compared to  that of both
the 4th and 5th (ASPH) versions, it is so subtle that it falls well
beyond my (or anyone I've encountered) ability to discern it.  Of course,
colour perception is a much more varied human trait than visual acuity.

Regards,
Nigel

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:28:35 -0500 budcook@ibm.net writes:
>Nigel,
>Did you use color reversal film?  I recently replaced an RF-Summicron
>with a
>new (4th version) 35 Summicron-M and I can easily tell the difference
>in
>color transmission between the two at any aperature.
>Bud

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]