Subject: Re: [Leica] Laser surgery
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 23:36:45 -0600

At 05:06 PM 08/10/98 EDT, you wrote:
  Today
>the procedure is down pat with about as much danger as crossing the street.

I suppose that's a good point.  There is a voluntary assumption of risk
involved.  The risk is small, but nevertheless, there is a risk,
particularly if performed by someone who is careless or uses an unorthodox
technique.
  The surgeon in question in the documentary I was referring to previously
is from Vancouver.  Several of his patients are now legally blind.  On more
than one occasion, after allegedly making an unsuccessful first flap, he
cut another, then proceeded with the lasing.  I should have clarified that
the program was referring to the specific practices of one individual, who
has had numerous complaints against him, and who is now under review by his
professional organization.  Had I mentioned this, then perhaps the
discussion would not have been on whether laser surgery is risky or not.  I
have no doubt that when the procedure is performed properly, it can restore
one's vision.