Subject: Re: [Leica] Peak enlarger focuser-off topic
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 23:48:59 -0600

At 10:17 PM 08/10/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>	I just purchased a Peak grain focuser-it's a fantastic instrument.  I do
have
>a question though.  It came with a blue filter which the manufacturer says to
>use for black and white.  I know there has been some controversy about focus
>shift especially with variable contrast paper ( which I use ).  Does anyone
>know if I should use the filter?  If it's not important I'd rather not use it
>as it's quite dark.  TIA
>	Richard Wasserman

Richard,
I use the same focuser, and I do not use the blue filter.  It does make
focusing difficult because of the dimness.
   Two good references to read regarding why not to use the blue filter,
are Ctein (1997) "Post Exposure" by Focal Point Press, and Gainer "Hazards
of the Grain Focuser" in the Jan/Feb 1997 issue of Photo Techniques.  The
reasons for hot using the blue filter are technically complicated, having
to do with the chromatic aberration in the human eye, and how it
contributes to a focus shift of an aerial image.

 _
[o] -GH