Subject: Re: [Leica] MLU
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 16:31:26 -0700

At 11:45 PM 10/7/98 +0000, you wrote:

 So far now 2 people
>have reported the R6 firing with such force that I'm reminded, perhaps
>hysterically, of my school days using a Pentax 6x7. Aside from the R7, do
>ALL R's have this fault? Again, I shoot table top with my N90 (no MLU) and
>need only a good tripod and timer to produce, using exposures up to 3
>seconds, sharp results.
>
>I have had several Nikons with MLU and never used it for long term exposure
>stuff. Are Nikons ''better damped''?
>
>JG

R6 and R6.2 have mechanical shutters. All other R cameras have electronic
shutters. The ONLY place that mirror/diaphragm vibration is a problem is at
 1/15, 1/12, 1/8, 1/6, and 1/4 sec. Anything faster and anything slower
does not "capture" the vibration. This is a well known phenomena in ALL SLR
(except for that Canon thing) cameras. George Lepp did an entire issue of
his newsletter on this "problem". George tested Canon and Nikon, perhaps
others, but not Leica. I know it exists in Leica and I know how to
eliminate it. This is one reason I no longer use the R4sP. No MLU.

Jim
http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access