Subject: [Leica] Re: Scratching eyeglasses
From: M3novie@webtv.net (Scott Green)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hey folks!

You know, ususally I windup hittingthat "clean up mail" button a lot
lately, as I seldom have found the time to go thru all this stuff -- not
for lack of desire, mind you, but rather, I've just been a-runnin'.  But
this post brings up a valid point for me.  I flat love my M3!  Never
have I handled such a jewel of finesse; a marvel of the eroticism of
dumb ol' mechanics.  On the oter hand, $70 for a mere lens shade is,
well, outrageous.  Still, I wouldn't trade the experience.  As someone
said recently (Martin, I think) I too bought my Leica merely because of
the reputation and ... panache.  I've managedto accrue a decent kit,
mius a couple of gizmos (like a 35mm sumthin' or other).  Well, today I
dragged out my humble old Konica Auto Reflex T2 and was reminded that
there _are_ other cameras out there that  I love.  I've shot with the
Konica for nigh on 20 years or more and never once regretted it.  Now,
keep in mind that I am not a "professional" photographer by a long shot.
Sometimes I wish I were, but more often I realize that I'd probably wind
disenchanted with the craft if I were.
Moral?  Well, there isn't one : )  Except to say that I thoroughly enjoy
all this banter, but also that we must all realize that seldom was an
esteemed Leica our first camera.  OK I know it happens, but....  How
come we all flock to these things?  Because they're cool -- even if it
does take eons to get a simple eyepiece.  That one flabbergasts me.  MY
Konica does not enjoy ANY support from this old firm in the way of parts
or anything, so it is actually somewhat _more_ eccentric than even an
M3.  Still, the thing would give any Nikon F, Leica IIIf et al a good
run for the durability money.  Panache, well, call it silch on that one.
But I always know it'll work.  Kind of like my M3 now that you mention
it  ; )

Scott Green