Subject: [Leica] moving to Leica SLR ...a few tips please...
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 12:11:35 -0700

LUGnuts:

It's Francesco, and I'm back from a 16 day dream trip
to France.  I'll tell you all about it and post some shots
later, but for now a pressing question......

I am selling my M6HM, 35/2 ASPH, and 50/2
for a more complete and versatile R7 kit instead.
I had a GREAT time on my trip with the M6,35/2 ASPH,
and 50/2 but EXACT metering (for me) is difficult when
I have a "spot" that fills 75% of the finder.....not really a spot!

Plus, I love in-finder exposure readouts too much.
It is so much nicer to be able to see the
exposure in the finder rather than having to lift my head
every few seconds to confirm the shutter speed and
aperture.  I can quickly move from point to point without
removing my eye from the finder and evaluate exposure
Zones within seconds, with the R7 finder.

I already have an R7, 100APO, and 180APO.  I want to
get 3 lenses to fill the wide angle and normal range.
I am thinking of the 19/2.8, 28/2.8 and 50/2.  Are these
just about the three best lenses in that range for the R?
Yes, I know the R7 and 2 lenses is bigger and heavier than
an M6 with 2 lenses, but the benefits outweigh the
disadvantages for me personally and my style of photography.

Is it true that M wide angles are marginally better than R versions
because of the design restrictions on SLR lenses, or is this
an old wives' tale?

I really hate to do this because I love my M6 and I love to walk
around with it, to feel it, and to work with it......a true pleasure.
But if a little extra weight and size means an easier path to better
photography (FOR ME) then it is worth it.  Hey, it still has the
LEICA name on it, right?

Francesco
fls@san.rr.com