Subject: Re: [Leica] Welcome & more Photokina
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:01:38 +0200

Hi Jem & all!
Yep, there are alternatives that do not require much space. And one oth=
er
topic was electronic shutters. I remember - now - that there actually i=
one more type of electronic shutter besides the metal ones made by Seik=
and Copal - namely the one cloth type made by Minolta. It is still in
production for manual Minolta SLRs and I think that it is closely relat=
ed
to Leica-type shutters. And Minolta managed to squeeze this shutter int=
o a
camera not much smaller than M-type Leica - the Minolta CLE.
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
my=F6s suomeksi
>=20
> Following up on our interesting chat with Leica, we talked at some st=
age=20
=20
> about alternative viewfinding systems for the M cameras and though th=
ey =20

> recounted non-productive experiments with zoom finders (not enough ro=
om =20

> for the moving elements) it was suggested by one of us (sorry, I forg=
et =20

> who) that they contemplate the (1950s) Canon solution of a rotating p=
rism
 =20
> offering different degrees of magnification which are dialed in by th=
e  =20
> photographer.
> Leica admitted that they were unaware of this and would be interested=
 in=20
=20
> exploring it, so yesterday I packaged off my old Vt for Burkard Kiese=
l to
 =20
> examine. In my wildest dreams it might arrive back looking better tha=
when it left  =20
> me and provide, perhaps, an interesting solution to the problems of u=
sing
 =20