Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG at Photokina
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:25:01 +0200

Thanks to all LUGers I have met at Photokina. It was great to meet all these
people I know from their most knowledgeable LUG contributions. We sat there
with our Ms in front of us waiting for the things to come. And Tom Abrahamson
gave a special LUG-SoftRelease to the LUGers. (Thanks again, Tom!)

I was impressed by three things at the Leica Seminar:
1.
We met People knowing what they say!
We even met Lothar Kölsch, who leads the department designing our great Leica
lenses. So it was really not just a team of nobodies they had sent to the meeting.

2. The Leica officials were absolutely open minded.
Ideas coming up have been discussed, rather than blocked. I think there is a
fairly good chance to see some of the suggestions for smaller or bigger
improvements in the future.
I cannot promise that we will have a "goggled 2.8/21 Tom Abrahamson designed"
lens next year but there was no attitude of "our-way-is-the-only-way"

3. The Leica officials were honest
Most questions were concerning the M system. I had the feeling that we got
honest answers about what is possible, what can be done, what can be done in
the near future (sorry, I forgot to ask about the autofocus).

In addition, Erwin gave additional explanations to lots of technical questions.

This was the 'optical' side. I enjoyed at least as much the dinner together
with all these Lugers and their most interesting stories.

Hope to see you again!

christoph