Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Summicron-M vs Elmarit-M
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:02:42 +0200

Nigel,

I have not compared the two lenses directly, but all I have ever read about
them indicates that the Elmarit is superior to the Summicron. Another
consideration for me is weight; the Elmarit is smaller and lighter, and
partly for that reason I just bought one this weekend. I have not yet seen
the results on film.

Nathan

N. B. Watson wrote:

> Presently I am deciding bewteen purchasing (second-hand) either the
> current 90 Summicron-M or the current 90 Elmarit-M. (The 90 APO-ASPH is
> not an option).  I am interested in hearing users comparisons in terms of
> optical performance (resolution and contrast) at equal apertures (i.e.
> both lenses from f2.8 smaller).  My desire is for sharpest rendition of
> small detail, not flattering portraiture; however my thought was that,
> to have the f2 aperture available for "emergencies" might be a good
> option, but only  were all else to be equal or nearly so.  Comments from
> those having compared these two lenses is greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind thanks.
> Nigel

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html