Subject: Re: [Leica] Critical test reports by CDI
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:58:23 +0200

Willie Ju wrote:
> > Sorry, Fred, but I don't buy this argument. Remember that Nikon still has
> > the F bayonet since the fifties?
> > Of course, their lenses have changed since then, but you can basically
> > still use older Nikon lenses on newer cameras, although you loose some of
> > the elaborate camera functions.
> >
> Hmm. I think Mr. Jackson was talking about the durability of the lenses.

Willie,
I see quite a few first generation AI'd F lenses around in second hand
shops. And bodies of all generations since the first F. But since the
Nikon SLR does not entail the same collector-mania as Leica, except on
some very specific models, these lenses are priced the way they should:
as old designs not up to the functionnalities available today. I do not
think today's middle to high range lens production will be any less
durable than the F generation. There is no reason for it not to be. But
it is possible that in 15 years, there will not be any new 35mm body to
attach them to. Just hope that the mounts will remain compatible with
whatever imaging tool will be used...

I do not think you can justify the crazy Leica price tags by the
"economies of durability". We may choose to spend our money on Leica for
various reasons, but there is no economic rationality there: pleasure of
owning and/or using a superb blend of traditional mechanical engineering
and state of the art optics, desire to support a social and production
model deeply rooted in European culture, nostalgia, conservatism or
anti-conformism, etc. I own a M6 system because it is the smallest high
quality interchangeable lens 35mm system available (on top of being
beautiful and a joy to use), not because I think it will be paid back by
40 years of usage. And i think it is way too expensive.

A multi-thousand USD 180mm R APO will still be there in 40 years, but so
will an equivalent 180mm ED AI purchasable today mint at less than 600
USD (bought one yesterday, and it feels wonderful) or a brand new 1,300
USD 180mm ED AF-D. My guess is that, in the decades to come, there is
much more probability that there will be an available mount out there
for the AI than for the R.

Alan.