Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Summicron/Elmarit
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:48:15 +0200

B. D. Colen wrote:
> I like having the extra stop, but I'd trade that for the light
> weight and compactness, as well as the razor sharpness...
>
> Isn't there something a bit bizarre, by the way, about paying for Leica
> optics and then using a filter to soften them?

I agree with that. I use a VERY slight filter (Nikon Soft nr 1) and ONLY
for pictures involving very small babies and their mum: in order to get
both in focus, one has to close down a little more, and the Elmarit gets
very harsh for those fragile subjects: the new born baby often has small
spots and skin irritations, the mum does not really feel all that
glamorous, the environment (hospital or rampaged flat) usually is not
photogenic. But otherwise, the more definition, the better. And the
Elmarit delivers. Another, harsher, portrait with Elmarit, f5.6 and
Velvia: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/AlanBall/adela.htm .

Alan.