Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens quality
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:15:45 +0200

Thomas J. Donovan wrote:

> I've always had a hard time with writers who comment
> on gear that they haven't used.  It's not so bad once or
> twice; but, when it's written again & again..ETERNALLY ;-)

Point well taken, Donovan. My sincere apologies to you and other
regulars. You are right: "again and again" is fastidious...

But (of course there is a "but") the absence of searchable archives, the
sheer quantity of posts per day and the fact that I am far from being
the only parrot on a list where new readers seem to appear every day,
make it very difficult for me to shut up and not communicate a point of
view which I still find relevant. I am usually not the first one to
start ranting. The relevance of it is not based on personal experience
with the R equipment - I am totally candid about that - but on my close
observation of images in their final form: magazines, web sites, etc. i
am not going to repeat it, do not worry, and I am very happy for people
who are themselves happy with their equipment. I simply do not want
newcomers, even with the means, to invest  2 years of house mortgage
payback in a gear that they believe will give them a quantum advantage
in quality for their hobby. The competitive advantage is minute, the
costs are unbelievably high. Sorry, oops, I did it again.

I do not like ice-cream by the way.

Friendly regards
Alan