Subject: [Leica] 80/1.4 R lens
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:51:33 +0000

The first lens I bought with my R6 years ago was an 80/1.4.  Unfortunately,
I got a bad one.  Very soft from 1.4 to 2.8 (not just in the corners, but in
the center).  Probably the worst performing camera lens I have ever owned
(Minolta and Nikon included).  My understanding from others on the LUG is
that the lens is, in fact, an excellent performer and that my experience was
atypical.

Despite this lousy experience, the 80/1.4's combination of focal length and
speed is the ultimate to me -- my all-time favorite, period.  I can't wait
to own another one, or the new APO version coming in June 1999 -- (JUST
KIDDING!  JOKE!  NOT SERIOUS!)

John McLeod