Subject: Re: [Leica] W. Eugene Smith
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:45:38 -0400

Mark,

The Center for Creative Photography is on the campus of the University
of Arizona. http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/branches/ccp/ccp.html It
houses one of the largest collections of Smith prints. I was there in
mid-late August while taking my stepdaughter to her freshman year at
that school.

Unfortunately, in order to visit the collections you have to make
arrangements in advance or visit the first or third Sundays which are
collection viewing days.

I was fortunate enough to see Lauren Greenfield's exhibit called "Fast
Forward" on adolescents growing up in L.A. That alone was worth the
visit. I'm curious if anyone knows whether she uses Leicas. Her
technique was impecable: Fill-flash was subtle and her handling of mixed
lighting was also superb. Looks like it was all shot on chromes and
Ilfochrome prints (big ones from 35mm) were made. They also had other
examples from the collections of adolescence and growing up in America
by other photogs; mostly in b&w. Also very rewarding.

The web page has a PDF file listing photographers and quantities of
prints in their collections. Next time I go I will keep the archivists
busy for days pulling prints for me.

Carl Socolow

Mark Walberg wrote:
>SNIP

 I've also never seen an original print of Smith's.  I