Subject: RE: [Leica] W. Eugene Smith
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:16:09 -0600

I've got a copy of the annual.  It has a lot of Smith's Pittsburgh
pictures.  It isn't for sale, but if you have any questions about it, I'll
try to answer them.

  Also, for those interested in Gene Smith, it is well worth your while to
read Jim Hughes biography of Smith.  It is a very well written account of a
very interesting photgrapher's life.  I've never seen this book for sale in
a store.  I got my copy by writing to Hughes directly.  There is lots of in
depth discussion of Smith's Pittsburgh project in the Hughes biography.
   A book I would dearly love to find is the Pittsburgh book authored by
Stefan Lorant.  This was the book for which Smith's Pittsburgh pictures
were taken.  Of course, only a small fraction of Smith's pictures appeared
there.  A relative of mine has a later edition of the book, so I get to
look at it every decade or so.  My understanding is that the earlier
edition may have had more of Smith's pictures, although I'm not sure about
that.  I'd like to see an early edition of the book someday.  Does anyone
know where to find one?
   I grew up in Pittsburgh at the time Smith took the pictures. I am very
moved by quite a few of Smith's pictures (and not just those of
Pittsburgh!).  I've also never seen an original print of Smith's.  I
understand there is an archive of his work, in Arizona I think.  I hope to
go there some day.  Has any LUGger been there that could tell us about it?
- -Mark Walberg    walberg@simmons.swmed.edu