Subject: Re: [Leica] Invert or rotate
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:11:32 -0400

I guess I'd better wade in on this thread. I've been using Unicolor plastic
reels in a Unicolor Filmdrum for years, both for black and white and color
transparencies. The reels are easy to load and the Filmdrum is adjustable
from one to six 35mm reels. It is insulated to slow temperature changes.
The whole thing rotates constantly, switching direction on a Unicolor motor
base.

The film done in this tank is uniform and consistent. It also allows the
use of very little chemical. Ex. 8 oz for two 35 reels.

Also much less expensive than Jobo and other "automatic" systems.

Cheers!

kw

>I would worry about streaks caused by spent developer sliding down the
>surface of the emulsion. I like to invert and turn. Everyone I know throws
>those little rotation devices away. However, I suspect (hope?) that makers
>of the developing tanks did some experiments and got good results with the
>rotation method. I has the merit of keeping hot hands away from the
>developing tanks. It would also lessen the amount of chemicals that get to
>the hands.
>Joe Stephenson

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>