Subject: Re: [Leica]buying an M6. what lens, was...?
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant98@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:02:56 PDT

Andrew Collings wrote

>I've decided to buy a new M6. What's up in the air is which lens to
buy: I want to do low-light scenes and know I want a 35/1.4. I'm
wavering between the new 35/1.4 ASPH and a ten year old 35/1.4. The
>new is $2600 and the used is $900. I'm concerned about the obstruction
of the hood/lens in the finder of the aspherical. Even with the "cutout"
it seems a hassle. Is this something you get used
>to?>>>>>>>>>

Andrew, a couple of things:
1: the cutouts don't count as you'll forget them after a very short
time.

2: Save your money and go for the older 35mm 1.4 if you are intending on
stopping down. However if you are going to work wide open or a stop
down, then spend the bread for the aspherical as it is quite incredible
when shooting wide open. There is a very marked difference in image
quality over the older model.

>With the used one, I wonder if the two "holders" on the aperture ring
>will be easy enough to get to in a speed situation, especially with a
>hood. Also, is $900 too cheap for a lens of this type that the dealer
>claims is in mint condition?>>>>>>

You might find a difference in handling but it wont take long to get the
feel and you'll be flying along with the fingers doing exactly what you
want in short order.

The $900. price would seem not bad even if you intend on shooting wide
open, the images will be acceptable. However, as I said, if you make a
direct comparison you'll not be happy until you own the aspherical. But
the difference really only counts wide open or a stop down.

A good choice on the M6, a wonderful piece of gear which you should
enjoy for years.

ted