Subject: [Leica] Slave Unit
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 22:02:52 -0700

I think it would be good to get the definitive story, so that when the subject comes up in the future (as it will) we can refer to it easily.  If we do not document history, then we are left with rumors.  As this is a Leica list, I do not think that such discourse is out of line.

There may be much to be proud of.  I for one salute the Righteous Christians who risked theirs lives to save their neighbors.  No one can view Schindler's List without understanding this.  (And, of course, a simplistic view would note that Schindler used camp labor!)   Rabbi Schulweis writes in response to the question "where was God?" that the answer is that God acted through the Christians who risked all to do that which was right.

I believe that Else Leitz, the daughter of Ernst Leitz, may be just such a righteous person.  Dennis Laney writes:

"Ernst Leitz himself had several brushes with the Gestapo.  His daughter, Else, was imprisoned by them from 10th September to 28th November 1943.  This was for aiding a Jewish member of the Palm family, well known owners of another optical works in Wetzlar."

Now, as to TM, I address you directly.  Consider your words before you hit the send button.  Words have the power of bullets.  You managed to insult me in two simultaneous directions.

Robert Rose
A Jewish lawyer and a Leica photographer.
And proud of all three.