Subject: Re: [Leica] Slave Unit
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 06:31:33 +0200

Joseph Codispoti wrote:

> I find interesting the philosophical dichotomy when it comes to holocausts.
> Why the silence about all the others?

I will not comment on this, as the general topic is not appropriate for the
Leica list (even though I have strong feelings on it).

> It is immoral to prosecute and persecute VW, Leica, and  other companies
> whose present management had nothing to do with actions taken more than a
> half century ago. Atrocities are committed by humans not companies.

I strongly disagree with this statement. The corporations involved, the Swiss
banks etc., all profited from their immoral actions during the war, and it is
entirely appropriate that they are prosecuted for it--as corporations! Nobody is
talking about putting the current managers of those companies in jail or making
them personally responsible. The only immoral thing about the current legal
actions is that they are happening only now when most of the Holocaust survivors
are very old or dead. But still--better late than never.

Whether or not Leica was engaged in exploitation of slave labour is also an
appropriate topic for this list, since we discuss all things having to do with
Leica, including the history of the company. Whatever the findings, it will not
stop me from buying Leica, but I am surely interested in seeing the results of
an investigation (if one is indeed going on).

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium