Subject: Re: [Leica] First week of shooting with my new R7 - HELP!
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 18:50:41 +0200

On 29-08-1998 08:57 Jim Brick wrote:

>I have been using R camera since 1976. M cameras for less than a year. I
>RARELY EVER use my R camera hand held. It's like it is permanently attached
>to a tripod. I bought my M camera FOR THE SOLE REASON, I wanted a camera
>that I could hand hold. (snip)
> I think you
>should try a monopod.

Jim:

I have used my R8 with attached motor-winder plus a variety of lenses
like the Elmarit 19/2.8, Summilux 80/1.4 and also the Vario-Apo-Elmarit
70-180/2.8 handheld without too many problems. And I am almost always
using 100 ASA (Fuji Reala, Provia) or 50 ASA (Velvia) films. Of course,
with the 70-180 you need good light to be able to work handheld, but it
works.
I have also used the same combo mounted on the Leica minitripod with
ballhead for night shots with mirror lock-up: it works like a charm.
Of course, your hands get easily tired with such a weight and volume, so
you should only take up the camera at eye level when really needed.

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch