Subject: Re: [Leica] m6 v. r7 - sharpness issue
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:15:09 +0200

On 29-08-1998 07:58 Five Senses Productions wrote:

>Have most of you found that you get sharper, more accurately
>focused HANDHELD shots with your M6 than with your R SLRs?

Francesco:

This is quite normal at least at slow speeds, because there are less
internal vibrations with the M6 due to the lack of a mirror. What I am
doing in such occasions, is to frame the scene in my R8 viewfinder, keep
it like that, and switch mirror lock up on, and fire.
It works like a charm and I have already obtained very good results where
pictures would otherwise have been impossible (even when I am handholding
the beast with the very heavy Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180/2.8, together
about 3 kilo's).

But generally speaking you should not consistently get sharper pictures
with the M6. The rangefinder focusing is theoretically more precise, but
I have found this advantage to be of practical use only in low light
situations with less visibility. Then it is easier to focus precisely
with the M6 than with the R8. Often with the R, it is a bit of guessing.
Luckily the distance scale on the R lenses is VERY precise!

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch