Subject: Re: [Leica] newbie
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:51:32 -0500

At 09:46 AM 8/26/98 -0300, you wrote:

>	Yep! I think you are right. But now, looking back, I can see that what
>made my undecision, was the focus issues. What attracted me in the M model
>(besides its design), is the split image viewfinder. How easy is to focus
>on a R model? I mean, does the camera has some practical viewfinder or
>interchangeable one?

The R8 has a bright contrasty viewfinder that I find very easy to focus.
Much better than current AF cameras and their viewfinders designed for
looking through and not focusing. The R8 (and previous R's back to the R4)
have interchangeable viewfinder screens. The plain screen is supposed to be
great for focusing. I've yet to get one for my R8. From about 90mm and
longer, the SLR is clearly better at focusing than a rangefinder. It's just
basic physics. If you plan to use those lenses the most (90+) than the SLR
is a better choice. If you plan to use wide angles a lot, especially at
wide apertures, the M is a better choice.

>> This is for carefully composed portraits. For snapshot quality portraits,
>> and fast moving subjects, often the rangefinder is the better choice.
>
>	Which makes the M model very suitable for documentary. Am I right?

You bet!
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO