Subject: Re: [Leica] Photokina release
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:03:56 -0500

At 05:29 PM 8/26/98 +0200, you wrote:

>You have read the last fiscal year results for Leica. You are aware of

Temporary as the market falls apart in the East. It's still strong here.
It's only a short blurb. The middle class in Japan and elsewhere will come
back to Leica as things smooth over, I'm sure. All the while, big increases
in sales in the U.S. and elsewhere will keep Leica healthy for the long
term. I'm sure of it. That's an advantage of not making so many cameras a
year they can't ride out such a storm. If they were making 100,000 M6s,
that would be a tragedy.

Besides, my antenna tell me that the new M6 TTL will sell in big numbers,
especially a new M6HMTTL. (Thank goodness they didn't add more things, or
the length of the name could get quite long!) :-)

>the benefits of a sound growth rate in turnover and profits, for a
>company, its shareholders and its perspectives for the future. You

Sound growth yes, but stock holders can destroy a company when they can't
stand to make a "reasonable profit." I'm scared more of them than I am any
given market out there in the world.

>First time I ever saw the M6 compared to a dump truck :-(
>Looks more and more like a Morgan to me. And I'd like to own a Morgan !

You got it backwards! :-) The M6 is the Porsche. Staid, conservative, tough
to drive. The G is the dump truck. Slow, clumsy in comparison. (When not in
AF).

Morgan horse? <G> I suspect the Konica M camera will give Leica a run more
than the Contax G.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO