Subject: Re: [Leica] best R lenses from 24 to 50
From: Andre Jean Quintal <>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:55:33 -0400

At 16:15 -0700 26/08/98, Francesco Sanfilippo wrote:
[ . . . ]
>If I wanted the BEST two lenses from 20mm and up for the R7, which
>would they be?  I know the 50/2 is one, unless you guys think the 50/1.4
>is better.  I also want a 24, 28, or 35.  What do you recommend?
>Or should I forget the R7, and ONLY take the M6 with 35 and 50

	You will appreciate the wider angle lenses in Europe,
	as you already have an APO 100mm.

	My two sets of choices would be:

	a/	19 mm Elmarit-R
		35mm Summicron

	b/	19 mm Elmarit-R
		28mm PC-Super-Angulon

	I can't think of much anything you could not serve
	with these 3 lenses in Europe (assuming the APO 100 mm).

	Since you already own a 35mm 'M', there's a lot
	of good that could come from choosing the 28mm PC.
	I am quite confident you'd use the 19mm a lot
	especially in the cities with many "cramped"
	photo-op quarters.

	If only ONE new lens: the 28mm PC  ! ! !
	No question on my mind.

	A fourth choice would revolve
	about choosing between

		APO-Vario-Elmarit 70-180mm

		APO-Telyt f/3.4 180 mm

		OR the APO-2X extender for your APO 100mm

	to extend your "reach". It may be very useful to "grab"
	people discreetly from a further distance ( pre-focus ! ).

	Then a Leica brand polarizer and orange or deep yellow
	if you enjoy black & white. This is the "vendanges": grape
	harvest . . . you LUCKY dog !

	Bon voyage !

	Andre Jean Quintal

"He looked like lightning,