Subject: Re: [Leica] Format units question
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 01:17:10 EDT

Glen, your point on temperature and volume is well taken, and,although being
born "metric" I can use the ounce and pint measures in the darkroom. Where the
British or " Imperial" system falls apart is in machining. Trust me. it is
easier to machine in metric than in 1/1000 of 2,54 cm. At least I know that a
full turn on the feedwheel of my small lathe is 1,00 mm movement with the
cutting tool, not 0,0384". On the bigger lathe the handwheels are calibrated
in Imperial and this unit has a calculator epoxied to the tailstock!!!.
Temperatures in Centigrade has a relevance, at 0 degressC the water is
freezing and at 100 it is boiling, and at 20C+ you can develop Tri-X for 10min
in D-76.
Metrically yours,
Tom A