Subject: [Leica] Off Topic (I think) Hasselblad Vpan/Fuji TX=1 (long)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:23:40 EDT

I got some information today from Japan on the H-blad V-pan/Fuji tx-1. OK, so
it is off topic, but there might be a connection. The designation in Japan is
the Fuji-X-1, price is body Yen 160,000, 45/4 lens Yen 45,000 and the 90/4 is
Yen 55,000. The total brings it to Yen 260. 000 (about US$ 1,790). The
pictures are faxed copies from a press info kit, so some of the details are
lost in the ether waves. And the text is in Japanese.
 I have managed to figure the following; the lenses are fairly advanced
designs. the 45/4 is a 8 element design and used in the 24 x 36 setting it
gives you the 45 mm focal length, used in the “panorama” 24 x 63mm setting it
equals a 25 mm lens. The 90/4 is a 9(!) element lens, in 4 groups with two
cemented pairs. At 24 x 36 mm it is a 90 and at the panorama setting it is a
50 mm lens.
 The body looks like a Contax G1/2 that has been pulled out a bit, The
eyepiece looks like a Contax G piece. ASA dial on the front, full electronic
panel (looks like LCD display) showing speed, battery and what seems like a
“bracketing function. Obviously it has auto advance and rewind etc.
 I cant figure out the absolute size of the camera, but from the shots it
looks like it would be about 50% longer than a G1.
 The Leica connection that I referred to before, comes from the “full frontal
view”. The bayonet looks strikingly like a M-bayonet and at the top of the
lensmount opening there is a round “roller” that looks very close to a Leica M
focusing roller!!!!
 Going back to the track with the “new” M6 and “other cameras” with M-mount.
It would make sense. Both the Fuji lenses looks like they have manual focusing
( black rubber rings where the focus would be). If this would be the
“Electronic M camera” cheers for Leica. I like my M-cameras and I will always
use them, but an alternative camera with some specialized features ( higher
flash synch, auto- everything, even a panorama function, although most of the
M lenses would not cover the panorama setting). Well. this is still
speculation, at least until the “Official” stuff appears, either in the
Photokina Presskit or the at the ‘kina itself.
 Can anybody else throw some light onto this subject, I like the concept, the
little I have seen of it and having used Fuji lenses in the past on several
GSW and GW I have no problem with the quality of that manufacturers lens-
range. The price seems awfully good and if it can be kept at that level, it
would certainly provide us with a worthwhile alternative “M” or “G” type
camera. Cant wait to lay my hands on it!
Tom A