Subject: [Leica] LUG Suggestions
From: "GBICKET" <GBICKET@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 07:04:44 -0600

The question becomes does the LUG's valuable substance outweigh the clutter
inherent in a world-wide forum.....Without being naive, there is a lot of
complaining about some of LUG's drawbacks, and I try to believe that the
whining is noise made by those who wish to improve the LUG by pointing out
areas for improvement.

While disappointed to see some knowledgeable LUGgers depart, I find LUG to
be an extraordinary learning device.  Just a little conscious, collective
work by LUGs member could reduce to a minimum some of its problems, and a
little thoughtful discipline in posting might move its terrific, varied
content towards optimal.  This upward movement in quality may attract new
members with different expertise, and convince prodigal members to return.

Some suggestions:

>  Remembering that much of LUG's value comes from the fact that it is a
worldwide forum with ideas, experience and perspective.  LUG conveys more of
its substance to many more Leica Users when communicated in clear,
straightforward English.  More value can be gained and contributed by those
for whom English is not a first language if those who use it as a first
language remain conscious of this.  Interesting concepts communicated via
clever word play in English, and slang is lost on many members.

>  We should be more thoughtful about taking transactions, personal
antagonisms, off topic and purely personal posts offline to private
communications.  I for one, enjoy being party to personal messages from one
member to another if there is a Leica learning opportunity as part of the
message.

>  On topic is good.

>  If your email program does not permit reducing comments [snipping] from
another post to the ideas at issue, please paraphrase or quote rather than
read MIME format.

>  Intimidating new members is bad form.  Quality new members will soon
better understand LUG's value, and most who don't will lose interest.

>  Consider interesting [LUG enhancing] themes once in a while, to bring out
more member contributions; a Lurker's Week might be fun.

>  If we all acknowledge that if we go with the flow of LUG's varying
topics, we will eventually arrive at most of the subjects in which
individual LUG members are interested.

Enjoy the light!

Greg Bicket