Subject: [Leica] 75/1.4 versus 90/2.0
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:52:08 -0400

I agree with Eric "The 75 Summilux is a special lens. I can't imagine not=

having it now.
It has some of the quality of the Noctilux that people talk about."
So does the R 80 f1.4 and the M 50 f1.4. This latter is much underated IM=
HO
because of the stellar performers either side of it, Summicron for
sharpness and Noctilux for the "look" wide open. IME the Summilux 50 has
most of the sharpness of the Summicron stopped down and still a superb lo=
ok
fully open. If I correctly read Erwins treatiseon this lens he thinks it =
is
underrated also. Personally I use mine more than either my Summicron or m=
Noctilux though I could not put my finger on why, I just automatically pu=
it on the camera! I use 50mm more than any other but with 75 and 35 not t=
oo
far behind.
FWIW study of the element layout of the M75 M50 and R80 lenses shows them=

to be variants of the same design. In fact I have heard that the M75 and
R80 are the same lens and the difference in marked focal length only
academic. Seems unlikely to me but has anybody else heard this?
Frank =