Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:33:37 +0200

Morten Ryen wrote:

> But: I sometimes find it
> hard to focus my M6 properly, especially when light falls in from the
> left or with backlit subjects. The focus area gets completly white,
> which makes it impossible to see if the subject is in focus.

When I first got my M3, I noticed sometimes that the rangefinder patch
was very hard to see, particularly when the light came from in front.
I managed to track the problem down to the way I held the camera: Being
new to Leica cameras, I would hold my right index finger close to (but
obviously not over) the small rangefinder window. The problem was that
light would strike my finger and be reflected into the rangefinder
window, causing flare and making the rangefinder hard to see.

If you are new to Leica cameras, maybe you're experiencing the same
problem.  Try holding the camera differently, and be particularly aware
of where your fingers are in relationship to the infalling light and
the windows of the RF-system.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just DOHH it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho