Subject: Re: Portraiture question (Re: [Leica] 75/1.4 versus 90/2.0)
From: chefurka@magma.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 01:07:39 GMT

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:57:03 +0000, you wrote:

>So my question is: how can one handle differences in skin quality=20
>among subjects in a single portrait?

I would always diffuse for the worst case.  If one of the people has
smooth skin, diffusion won't hurt their look (smooth is smooth).  Not
diffusing will hurt the other one.

I normally don't like soft-focus effects, so when I was doing
portraits I'd diffuse just enough to take the edges off, not enough to
obliterate the lines.  My clients seemed to like the results.

Paul Chefurka