Subject: [Leica] Malaysia photo project 98
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 19:51:55 +0100

Hi All,

This is on topic only in that it's about a Leica user of nearly 40 years! :)

Some of you are aware I'm going to Kuala Lumper, Malaysia on Friday 14 Aug
for 5 weeks as photographic advisor to the organizing committee of the XVI
COMMONWEALTH GAMES being held there.

This kind of project is due to my experience over the years of using Leica
for sports; Olympics. winter & summer; Commonwealth Games; Pan American
Games and various other international, pro and amateur events. None of
which includes all the other interesting photojournalism things in between.

If it were not for my good fortune in using Leica cameras, both M & R,
primarily R and motors for the sports, I'd be spending 5 weeks cooling my
heels quietly around the home country.

However, there is a nice Leica bonus to this! I have been invited by a
member of the LUG, Mr. MC Lau of Kuala Lumpur to meet with he and other
Malaysian photographers and share my Leica experiences with them. A nice
meet and greet!

My meeting with another LUG member on the ___other side of the world___
not just down the street, has great feeling for me as though I'm meeting a
family member for the first time. And I look forward to it with great
anticipation of a wonderful "real time" of Leica camaraderie. Something we
members of the LUG should never forget, simply because it isn't all things
technical that hold us together, it's being members of this wonderful
electronic communication system involving all things Leica!  And being just
plain down to earth folks!

If you are interested in looking a bit further into this project please
look at a couple of web pages designed in Malaysia about the Games and the
photographers of Malaysia. Most interesting.

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/kl98/tedgrant/index.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm

http://www.kl98.com.my/

I am looking forward to this project and working with many of the
international sports photographers whom I know from past Games and for
those interested, I'm going to do a head count at how many "Leica Users"
are in the accredited media. Let me assure you the numbers will not be
high.  Me and a couple of others? :)

So there we are folks, a learning experience for me with Leicas and LUG
members across the sea. Hopefully my adventure may illustrate the
importance that everything isn't numbers and learning curves. It's about
being photographers and Leica friends!

Keep you posted from KL. :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant