Subject: [Leica] Subject: Re: Leica Photography
From: "Ron K. Miller" <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 22:59:03 -0700

Bob,

Always carry film on you in carryon luggage. It is the newer Xray
machines for checked in luggage that have the ability to damage
photographic film. If possible, have the processed film in clear
canister (fuji) in a huge ziploc bag for easier hand inspection by
customs (depends on the airport). if customs insists on running the bag
through the carryon xray machines, many on the LUG will attest to the
non-effect of the machines on film, but I'm not clear if fast speed film
(1600 and higher) would fare well.  So far Ive been lucky (by being
pleasant and accomodating in film presentation) to have all my exposed
and unexposed film hand inspected!

Regards ;-)

- -------------

Here's a following except from rec.photo.equipment.35mm newgroup
posting:

This morning's Seattle P-I carried on article on the CTX airport
scanners made by InVision Technologies of Foster City, CA.  here's the
nutshell:

"High-powered devices to scan checked luggage at airports, including
those planned for Sea-Tac Airport, may also zap your vacation photos, a
manufacturer of the equipment says.

"...InVision said the probability of foggong film is much higher than
machines used for carry-on luggage...

"Sea-Tac is to get its first checked-baggage scanner this fall...the
machine is much more powerful than X-rays used for carry-on bags., and
is programmed to increase power if it encounters an object its rays
cannot penetrate. Shielding film in a lead-lined pouch would only cause
the machine to increase power if its scanning ray hits it."

And there's this from InVision's web site, http://www.invision-tech.com/
:

"In December 1996, the FAA announced it would purchase of 54 InVision
CTX 5000 systems to be placed in airports across the US. Systems are
currently operating at airports in San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago and
New  York. Additional CTX 5000 systems are operating or are on order for
major US airports as well as for international airports in the UK,
France, Israel, Belgium, ,the Philippines, Japan and Malaysia."

" NEWARK, CA. (March 1998) InVision Technologies manufacturer of the
only FAA certified Explosive Detection Systems (EDS), today announced
its newest automated EDS, the CTX 5500 DS, has successfully completed
FAA certification testing.

"... the CTX 5500 DS has the ability to process luggage 30% faster than
the CTX 5000.... The CTX 5500 DS was first made available on the
worldwide market in December 1997. Since that time the  company has
received orders from British airport operator BAA plc. in the UK, for
three of the CTX 5500 DS machines and an order for four from the Israeli
government. The CTX 5500 DS is also available as an upgrade kit  for
customers using the CTX 5000."

As of March, 1998, InVision has shipped approximately 100 units to
customers in the  following countries.
                    Belgium              France
                    Hong Kong          Israel
                    Japan                  Malaysia