Subject: Re: [Leica] Why we use Leica (was potential image quality)
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:49:59 -0700

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

> But the Leica images looked like
> they were made in a normally lit room, good shadow detail, backgrounds
> that could be easily placed. The Canon images were obscured by contrast,
> dim sides of faces became detailless blobs.

This is what I have always noticed about the Leica galss. Where Nikon and
Canon have dark (read no detail here) shadow areas and blown out highlights
the Leica glass holds the detail.

What made me first switch to Leica back in 1990 was a test I did using Nikon
and Leica.  I used the Nikon 300 2.8 and the Leica 280 2.8 and took chromes
of my wife with our dog on a sunny spring day in Atlanta.  The dog is black and
my wife was wearing a very bright outfit.  In the Nikon photos the dog was
black. In the Leica photos the dog was black also, BUT there was detail in his
fur. The dog was in the shadow side of the photo so I was not expecting much
detail and when I saw this I was blown away.  I also repeated the same test
using the 1.4 converters on both lenses and the Leica STILL held detail in the
shadow areas. Same photographer same film same processing and exposures.
Only difference was the glass.

As far as why don't more pros shoot Leica....well I would wager that when you
get into the magazine field you will find more of us using the Leicas than the
newspaper and wire guys because 1) we shoot Chrome and the difference is
important there. 2) in most cases the increased quality will show up in better
printing.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto