Subject: Re: [Leica] Why we use Leica (was potential image quality)
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:57:10 -0400

Charles Babbington wrote: . . . Leica will come
through under SOME circumstances when others simply won't. . .

My example: I was shooting a day assignment when it turned into an evening
assignment. I had no lights and only two lenses faster than 2.8, a 50mm
summicron-M and a 100mm f2 Canon EF. I shot both cameras next to each other
both with Goldmax at 800 ISO. The Canon was on a tripod, and I hand-held
the M6.  Shooting both at f2 at 1/30th in a room full of candles and
lantern light. The images were sharp with both lenses, the Canon lens is
consistently good across the frame. But the Leica images looked like they
were made in a normally lit room, good shadow detail, backgrounds that
could be easily placed. The Canon images were obscured by contrast, dim
sides of faces became detailless blobs.

The Leica images are in the publication, I never even showed the client the
Canon images. Same photographer, same film.

On a sunny day at F8 there's no difference between Canon and Leica glass.
Even at F2 in good light it's hard to prefer one over the other all the
time, but when the chips are down, the Leica comes through.

Tom

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria