Subject: RE: [Leica] Contax Lens Adapter
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:56:00 +0000

Following Tom's comprehensive posting isn't easy, but you should check
out Stephen Gandy's web site 'Cameraquest' for further deatils reagrding
these adapters.
The English versions were made by Cook (without an 'e' at the end) and
Perkins at a time when German imports (of Leitz and other lenses) were
strictly limited after the war. Therefore people took what they could get
and adapted things to make them work with what they had. Cook and Perkins
also made close -up focusing devices (for Leicas), as did the Scottish
firm of Stewartry, and Photax.
Because the (original) Contax and Nikon design had a built in focusing
mount on the camera, this was the element which was replaced by the
adapter, effectively filling the gap between the camera and the lens.
There is one of these adapters currently for auction in the PCCGB
(Photographic Collectors Club of Great Britain), the reserve is œ95(GBP).
There were also non focusing versions made, these are much cheaper and
can often be picked up for a few pounds, though they are still quite
rare.

Jem

 ----------

Gerd, The adapter that Cambridge is offering is most likely a Contax RF
(Germany) to Leica screwmount. There are several of these around. The
most
famous is the Orion adapter (1949-1952), this one is quite rare and is a
high
end collectible ( $1000+). There were also several versions of these
adapters
made in UK in the 50's.( Perkins?). They allow Leica Screwmount bodies to
accept Contax RF ( and sometimes Nikon RF lenses) while retaining full
rangefinder focussing capability. I have had several of these over the
years
and I still have one left that I use with Contax/Nikon lenses. The
version
offered by Cambridge is probably the japanese made adapter. It uses the
focus
helicoil from a Nikon rangefinder (as well as the distance scale). It
works
very well on most lenses from the 28 to 85 mm. I found that mounting my
Biogon
21/4,5 ( Contax mount) I had problem with jamming the focussing roller of
the
M camera. I have used this adapter with 28 Nikon/35 Biogon and a 85/2
Sonnar
and Nikon. Works very well. The high price is justified as it has its own
helicoil,scale and is actually very well made. The Orion was the best
made,
jewel like finish, polished stainless steel. The later Japanese version
is
cruder, but it works.
 I have seen Contax G1/G2 adapters to Leica Screwmount in Tokyo, they
again
have their own adapter with helicoil but are not rangefinder coupled.
 There are some benefits of getting an adapter like this, you expand your
lens
selection considerably, plenty of great Sonnars,Tessars,Biogons as well
as
some great Nikon RF optics (25/28 and 35/1,8 as well as 85/105). The
Nikons
are often available as screwmounts to start with, but the selection is
better
with the alternative of the adapter.
Tom A